Thursday, January 10, 2013

Voice recordings

This week I was in the studio to do my first three voice recordings for the Marco Polo Project.
We were at Salt Studios in Brighton for the most part of the day and even though I have done some VO work previously I still felt a little nervous as I walked into the sound booth. Our sound engineer Matt Hadley is such a lovely guy, as soon as I heard his voice filter through the speaker I immediately felt at ease.
Two days prior Matt, Nghi and I had gotten together over brunch in Brighton to discuss the recording and run through the readings, in between that I had worked on the material myself familiarizing myself with difficult vocabulary, learning to how to pronounce many chinese words and of course finding the meaning and objective to assist me in driving the material.
Even though I had practiced my Chinese I still fumbled on many of the words but there were lots that I actually pronounced very well too.
There were no real hiccups on the day, apart from the lighting in the sound booth not being completely adequate, which of course poses as a slight problem when you are required to read in order to perform your role! As they say, the show must go on and we all made do with the light we had, it just meant a little more concentration and emphasis on attention to detail - and a splitting headache on the way home!

I'll be back in the sound studio in coming weeks to record more!

No comments:

Post a Comment