Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The truth about acting

As an actor I find that my performances almost always need to be pulled back for tv.
I began studying acting when I was 5 and continued with theatre studies until 18 and I find that I struggle just a bit with bringing my performances back down to reality. I don't need to hit the back row when on a tv or film set and it would be wise of me to keep that in mind.

My most recent audition was for a speaking role on a TV commercial and again I got the 'pull it back, make it smaller'. I can do this perfectly well but I can't help but wonder - does my tendency to begin with all guns blazing hinder my chances of booking a job? Or, does my ability to take direction and give the director what they've asked for during my audition overshadow my blazing gun and work in my favor?

I need to remember to keep things small. While studying in LA I really mastered this and was never really told to pull things back, in fact, in LA the overall reaction to me as an actress was so much more positive compared to here in Australia. Someone once told me that could be due to me being a minority in LA - but really - the place is literally crawling with kids from Oz!

What I need is a role similar to Elaine from Seinfeld, Fran from The Nanny, Rachel from Friends, or even Penny from The Big Bang Theory.



No comments:

Post a Comment