Thursday, November 15, 2012

Under the vines

Krasi in the Greek language means wine. Growing up my grandparents always had a grape vine growing and it was about this time of year that the vines would start to adorn big, luscious, green leaves and purple grapes.
We'd do two things with the grapes; make krasi by hand and eat them. I remember each bunch of grapes weighing around 2kg each! That's a lot of wine!
Last year, or possibly the year before, my Yiayia (grandmother) decided it was time to cut down the grape vine.

I remember how much of a simple pleasure sitting under the grape vines on a hot summer afternoon was, these vines are part of almost all of my childhood memories.
I remember my grandfather playing his guitar and singing to Greek music under the vines, I also recall racing snails under the shade of the vines when I was 3 years old, my grandfather and I built a small wooden seat under those vines and my Yiayia would serve us lunch under the shade. I could go on and on.

Over the past few months I've had my eye on one corner of the pre existing grape vine and guess what - it's flourished, the leaves are beautiful, bright and luscious AND I think we might have some grapes soon!

I'm relying on this one little corner to provide me with what might be my last opportunity to drink krasi made from my own vine.


No comments:

Post a Comment